None of us should be overly concerned with how we look, our health should be the number 1 goal, but hey, most of us wouldn’t mind a few weeks of eating healthily to trim up for summer after a long winter and maybe one too many Easter eggs.
Here are my top 10 tips to Spring into Summer Shape…
- Ditch cereal/toast for breakfast and go for something with natural vitamins, protein and healthy fats, an egg based breakfast is a good alternative especially if you’re active to help fuel recovery. Omelettes, with a slice of bacon, or salmon… mix it up.
- Cut out as much junk from the diet as possible. Sugary drinks often exceed the recommended amount of sugar an adult should have in a day, add a bar of chocolate and bag of crisps and it’s a recipe for weight gain… common sense.
- Lift some weights, this will up your metabolism and there’s no better way to gain a little healthy muscle… don’t worry you won’t look like Arnie unless you train for 5 hours a day
- Do some 30-60 minute light cardio sessions, get the heart rate up, don’t kill yourself, just get the system going and feel the endorFUNs flow
- Get sunlight where possible (don’t get burnt)… it’s been shown to reduce subcutaneous fat, the stuff directly under the skin and causes your body to synthesize vitamin D3…
- Eat whole foods. They’re more filling and nutritious (greens, colourful veg, brown rice if opting for some carbs)… and avoid overly processed or non-foods, which have all of the energy but none of the goodness.
- Get rest… there’s nothing like rest to detox and recover so you feel like being active the next day. Rest is the purest aerobic activity and you are fasting while you sleep allowing your body to oxidise fat
- Hydrate early to get your system moving, don’t drink too late at night to avoid your bladder waking you up early
- Get out on the weekend for a long walk, maybe up a mountain or along a long beach. It’s good for the mind, soul and body as we’re couped up all week in unnatural, artifical environments. Get in touch with nature with your friends and family.
- Cut down on milky cappucinos and lattes, especially ones with sugar/syrup. Sure the coffee is a stimulant, but maybe replace one with a green tea, or go black altogether if you can, it’s an acquired taste but once you get used to it, it’s just as good a hit.